The Hamblin Family

The Hamblin Family
dropping TJ off at the MTC

Friday, September 30, 2011

Happy Halloween! Getting crafty

I wanted to show some simple Halloween/Fall designs I have done and am doing. I have had a few people say they don't have any decor for this season. I wanted to show fast, simple and most importantly INEXPENSIVE!

Pumpkin, Ghost and Frankenstein Jars.

I like to use large and odd shaped jars. I bought my husband some pickled asparagus in a glass jar. He only ate 2 and then they just sat in the fridge (I admit...picked asparagus...doesn't sound all that great. Apparently, it isn't.) The jar has a rather square shape to it. I was thinking of trying a Frankenstein jar.

The Ghost jar was made out of a large pickle jar.I Used white tissue paper. Someone I know is a Janitor in the medical Field. She had a roll of the tissue paper that is used on the exam tables. She asked if I wanted it. At the time I had no idea what I would do with it, but said yes. The mouth and eyes were cut from some Scrap booking paper I had. The bendable wire is from the craft store. I noticed the dollar store sells some also. But they did not have the plastic coating over the wire like the craft stores did. It was also 3 times the price of the dollar store. I used Decoupage to make the tissue and the construction paper to stick. I have been told Elmer's glue is the same and cheaper. I have not tried that however (future project). I ripped the tissue into little pieces and then wadded them up to make them have a wrinkled look to them. I them painted the glass jar with the Decoupage, added the tissue to the wet surface, then finished with another coat of Decoupage. I then cut the wire to the handle length I wanted. Then cut another piece of wire to around the jar. I twisted the wire snug. With the end pieces, I twisted then around a small paint brush handle to give them a curly look.

For the Frankenstein jar. I bought a packet of tissue paper at the Dollar store. I have only been to the Dollar store once! That was last week. At first I was frustrated because nothing had prices on them! (I know...I know.....a very Blond moment. I admit, I have them at times) So after I saw the huge 'EVERYTHINGS A DOLLAR!" sign......I shopped with less restraint. I learned from My shopping trip to the dollar store that the LARGE package of paintbrushes are AWFUL! You loose half the bristles on your project as your painting it. HOWEVER....the large pack of different colored tissue paper is a deal! I bought this tissue not knowing I was going to be doing these jars. So what a great surprise to look in the pack and see this prefect Frankenstein green. I did have to make a quick trip to Target to buy a package of black tissue paper though. The end result was very much so worth it though!! I love the Frankenstein one the BEST!!




Completed first eye

Step 1. Black circle

Step 2. Half white circle

Step 3. Small black circle

Black tissue paper for hair. 2 screws for his bolts. I have seen pictures where they are on his head or on his neck, I did the head because they would be easier to attach to the wire handle. 






Candy Corn Candles
After Christmas I buy all the taper candles I can find. They average about .10 cents a piece at this time. I will buy them in boxes. I had a few friends say they didn't have Halloween decorations. So I thought about what I could do that was cheap and fast to make them just a few things to give to them. I came up with these Candy Corn Candles. I took white taper candles and painted the bottoms yellow. The middles orange. I noticed that because of the wax, the acrylic paint wanted to separate a little. I ended up using about 3 coats of paint on these candles. When they were dry, I sprayed then with a clear sealer. I would not burn these candles just use them for decoration.









Styrofoam eye Balls
These pretty much explain them selves. Styrofoam balls, wiggly eyes, hot glue and fishing line.

Hang these from fishing line and hang around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment