The Hamblin Family

The Hamblin Family
dropping TJ off at the MTC

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Picking TJ up from his Mission.

On Febuary 17th 2011, Chris and I flew out to Kansas City, Mo. to pick TJ up from his 2 year Mission with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He was called to serve in Indpendence, Mo. However he spent most of his time in the state of Kansas. The next day we drove to Independence, Mo Mission office to pick him up at 500pm. As we were sitting in the parking lot, mind you, I havent seen my son for over 2 years, we get a phone call that the van dropping TJ off will be 30 minutes later than planned. I was devestated. I even said to my husband "They have had him for 2 years,,,,,,cant they just get him back to me on time!" My husband suggested we go visit the Visitors center next door. I was pouting and he literaly had to drag me in the center. As I was begurdgling following behind him, a Sister Missionary asked us where we from and what brought us to the visitors center. I poutingly told her we were waiting for our Son who just finished his mission. She asked who he was, when I said "Elder Patterson" I was surrounded by 6 Missionaries. They all started telling us funny stories about TJ and how much they enjoyed Elder Patterson. My heart warmed. I even felt bad that I had been pouting and I knew we were lead to the Visitors center for a reason. I needed to be reminded of why we shared our oldest Son for 2 years. I was humbled by the impact our Son had made on people. It was getting close to the time the Van would be pulling into the parking lot. We went into the mission Office, as we were waiting..we were told that the Van just drove past. I went running to the door.....my husband thought it would be funny to hold the door closed so I couldnt open it. I said as serious as I could "I will run through you!" He must have known I was serious, he moved right away. I went running out the door. I could see him way at the other end of the parking lot unloading his suitcases. I screamed and started to cry. The only way to describe what I felt was it was like every single Chirstmas I have ever had rolled into one moment. TJ screamed also and came running to me and we literaly ran to each other.
TJ took us to 3 different wards on Sunday. By the second ward my husband told me "I am so sick of being called Brother Patterson." We got to meet some of the families that touched our sons life. We had Tempur pedic beds in our Motel room. The first night TJ climbed into bed, he said he has never slept in such a comfotable bed. the next morning I woke up at 800 and TJ was still asleep, Chris was laying in bed a wake playing a game on his phone. I asked him how long should we let TJ sleep. He said that it was his first day off his Mission, to let him sleep in. By 1100, we were running out of games to play on our phones and decided to wake him up. We then loaded up our rental car and headed to the airport.
We had a welcome home party a few days later. I found a really cute Return missionary cake idea by googling "return missionary cakes". Instead of making a fondant name tag. I just used his name tag from his Mission. we also had an awesome "Butterfinger cake" is favorite candy bar.

In 3 months we were going to be sending our second son off on his Mission. I was so thankful the brothers would have 3 months together after not seeing each other for 2 years, then to be seperated for 2 years again. I am so amazed at how close they still are given the time apart. Tj has said they are "Brothers forever.....no matter the distance and time apart." How did he get so wise. I love these two  pictures of them. They were taken just after TJ came home and Christopher left.


No comments:

Post a Comment